Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Whole Story

First time around with my pregnancy I thought I was doing pretty good, or what I thought was okay. I had a few bad migraines that landed me in the ER along with a back injury. Not so bad so I thought. I also had Gestational Diabetes. Which wasn't a problem what so ever. I went in for a normal doctors appointment on December 01, 2008 I was four Cm's dilated so they admitted me. My blood pressure was sky rocketing so they decided to give me pitocin which helped bring it down for a while. They then decided it was the best idea to give me an epidural. Which took my blood pressure to a normal range which was fine.... 36 hours later, I was tired, in pain, and still not progressing.

They decided that it was the best choice to go into a c-section because my pelvis wasn't doing what it was supposed to, and they thought the baby was going to be way to big to push out. I was so tired, didn't know what I was really getting into, so I went with it. I felt everything...cutting me open. Everything! I went into shock. I didn't remember much for at least 4 or 5 hours after the baby was born. I don't even really remember being able to hold him because of all the drugs I was on. Thank Heavens for pictures!!!

I was in there for a couple of days getting up and moving around. Then one day I got out of the shower in the hospital and I pretty much passed out. My fever was over a 104 and my normal body temp is 97.6 I was in and out of consciousness so they rushed me to ICU where my blood pressure was so bad, that I had doctors and nurses by my side at all times because they honestly didn't know if I was going to make it. My blood pressure was so bad I should have been dead. I was getting a little better so they let me see my son for 15 mins max....That went on for a couple of days!

I was feeling better so I was moved back down to the women's ward where I stayed a few more days then I was moved to the normal hospital unit. After a  week OR more I was able to go home, but I wasn't doing much better, I was actually feeling like it was getting worse. So they sent me home with a wet dry nurse. (someone who takes care of the cut when you are at home.) The infection was just getting worse when I was home....So they admitted me back into the hospital.

The infection was so bad that they said it was like punching a brick wall. They were going to opt for another surgery to remove all the infection, but they decided that I should take medication first. So I was placed back in the hospital for sometime, learning that the infection was caused by E-Coli. And the medication that I was put on was not working. My body was immune to it. So the whole time I had the infection from day three after my son was born wasn't working!!!!! I was so depressed. I remember my family by my side just staring at me like I wasn't even there...Not their faults, I remember the looks on their faces. I think sometimes that pain was worse then the physical pain I was feeling.

I was then told I would be able to go home but I would have a home health care nurse come see me at least three times a week to change my wound vac.....That lasted for two months....It was so terrible....

But I do believe I became a stronger person from this experience. I know the Lord does things for a reason, and I needed to learn and grow from this, and that is what I have done. At times it was hard...but I am truly grateful for the love and support I got. I feel so blessed to have been the one who could go through this, to hopefully help somebody else! Plus I did gain a beautiful, baby boy !!!! Who was beyond healthy and amazing! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment